HOW WE DEFINE ART:
Art is the process or product of deliberately and creatively arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. DVI considers the following media as art for this event: paintings, photography, pottery, handmade accessories, jewelry, sculpture and mixed media. DVI has the right to decline artists at anytime.
- Pieces must display a high level of originality and craftsmanship.
- Art (especially jewelry) must be significantly handmade and go beyond simple assembly of readily available/premade components.
- Pieces must be substantively original and not assembled from kits or commercially available patterns.
APPROVED TO EXHIBIT AT ART WALK:
- Only artists displaying their original work are eligible to participate. Please note this is an art-focused event with the only commercial focus being the sale of the work of the artists.
- All art is subject to review and approval.
- Prints of paintings created by the artist are permissible.
- If approved, only items listed on your application can be exhibited.
- If an artist is under the age of 18, an adult or guardian must be present.
**Please note that there is a limited number of jewelry (5), accessories (5) and clothing (5) artists that we can accept per year.**
*Clothing must be handmade only.*
DECLINED TO EXHIBIT AT ART WALK:
- Artists who have not applied, been approved or paid the setup fee.
- Items purchased for resale may not be displayed or sold.
- Items not allowed at Art Walk include:
- Mass-produced items
- Food/drink items
- Hair care products
- Skin care products
- And other extraneous items.
- Art containing explicit language, violence, graphic nudity or anything else questionable for small children. This is a family-friendly event.
- Items created by another artist, unless sharing the exhibit with that artist may not sell. BOTH artists have to be registered and approved by DVI.
- Spray painting and other forms of art that may result in the damage of property are not permitted.
- Anyone under the age of 18 without a parent or legal guardian on site.
- Entities interested in product promotion, sales and solicitation fall into a sponsorship category and brick and mortar commercial businesses should consider sponsorships.
DVI has the final say on acceptable objects.
All artists wanting to exhibit at Art Walk are required to register
**If you were declined, fear not, here is a list of other markets you can apply to:
EXHIBIT AT OTHER VENUES AT ART WALK:
All other venues make arrangements to host artists independently of DVI. DVI does not match artists with venues. If you were declined by DVI or are looking to set up elsewhere, contact the venues directly. Art Walk night is a great time to visit the venues and make contacts. For more information, click here.
APPROVAL PROCESS/PAYMENT PLAN:
There is a non-refundable application fee of $35. All artists must pay a $35 application fee at the time of application submission.
- To exhibit, all artists are required to apply online through Manage My Market by the first Friday of the month. For example, if you would like to attend the February Art Walk, you must apply no later than the first Friday in January. No exceptions.
- Payments must be made on-site at check-in only from 3 - 5 p.m. No exceptions will be made for those who arrive after 5 p.m. Check-in is located at the corner of Laura and Monroe St at the iloveartwalk.com tent.
- Applicants younger than 18 must have an adult or guardian apply for them.
- Any artist not registered with DVI will be out of compliance with permitting and liability requirements and will be asked to leave.
Each artist is responsible for applying once per calendar year. A valid email address is required.
5-6 photos of artwork and 2 photos of exhibit (you may create a mock set-up) are required. You will be declined otherwise.
By submitting the application, it is understood that you agree to the rules and regulations of the First Wednesday Art Walk and pay the $35 application fee. To view the legal statement, click here.
ONCE APPROVED - YOUR STEPS FOR FUTURE ART WALKS:
- Artists are required to pay the $35 fee at time of check in. We will no longer send out invoices or accept pre-payments.
- Approved artists will be added to an email database and will be contacted via email with a “Call to Artists” after each Art Walk. Just reply to the email by the given deadline to be included on next month’s Art Walk event flyer.
- There is no need to reapply during the calendar year.
- If you miss the deadline, you are still welcome to exhibit but will not be listed on the event flyer.
ART WALK CHECK IN/SET UP:
- All artists are required to check in from 3-5:00 p.m. at the check-in table under the red tent located at the corner of Monroe and Laura Street across from the Main Library. Upon check-in, artists will be given wristbands and pay the set up fee. This helps patrons identify artists and DVI confirms that all displays belong to approved artists. Any artists who check in after 5 p.m. will not be allowed to set up.
If you are unsure that you are on the check-in list but received an email of approval, please bring a copy of the email with you.
- DVI will assign booth locations before the event - Artists may NOT pick their own booth location.
- DVI has the right to change set up locations at anytime for events and sponsors.
- Artists may begin set up no earlier than 3 p.m., and should be completed by the beginning of the event at 5 p.m.
- Artists are not allowed to “save spaces.” Artists are not allowed to bring their wares before 3 p.m.
- There are electrical outlets throughout the area. Access is also on a first come, first served basis. DVI does not maintain the outlets and their working condition cannot be guaranteed. Artists requiring electricity must bring extension cords, power strips and duct tape. All cords must be taped down. Generators are not permitted. Battery operated lighting is mandatory.
- Please report any broken electrical outlets to DVI.
- Lit candles and incense are NOT permitted at Art Walk.
If you are going to have an electric outlet cord, duct tape is mandatory.
Also, 10lb tent weights are mandatory.
- Art Walk is a RAIN OR SHINE event. In the case of inclement weather, it is up to each artist’s discretion whether to stay or not. Please be prepared to protect you and your products from the elements. Artists seeking backup indoor accommodations must make arrangements independently.
- Artists are responsible for supplying their own setup, including, but not limited to, a table and chairs, tent (optional), and lighting and extension cords (optional).
- Artists should clearly mark all pieces and have cards with contact information for patrons and prospective collectors. DVI also encourages promotional signage on your booth or table. Bags for purchased art are also encouraged. Many patrons do not carry cash. For a list of ATMs Downtown, visit here.
- Artists must be mindful of patrons and keep all products and displays out of pedestrian walkways. Be mindful of those with strollers and wheelchairs. Artists may be asked to moved locations based on available space. Downtown Vision, Inc. has the final say on your set-up space.
- Artists must begin breakdown no later than 9 p.m.
- You must vacate the street or sidewalks or move your stuff by 10:00 p.m.
- Artists are responsible for clean-up of their space at the end of the night, including all litter and set up materials.
- Artists who do not abide by these rules may be banned from exhibiting at Art Walk.
- Artists may use the designated load/unloading zone on Duval and Monroe Street during this time to load/unload. Note: Please parallel park to unload.
- Designated parking is not provided. Meters are free after 6 p.m. A central location to park is at the Duval Street parking garage on the corner of Main and Duval streets near the Main Library. Visit Downtown Vision’s interactive parking map here. The Downtown Garage at Adams and Clay streets offers free, covered parking Art Walk night, courtesy of LAZ parking. (Enter on Clay Street).
- If parked illegally or at a meter bagged or marked “No Parking,” you are at your own risk of receiving a parking ticket. DVI is not responsible for parking.
Parking is not permitted along the sidewalks of Hemming Park and/or where otherwise marked "No Parking."
Art Walk operates under the following ethics and code of conduct:
- All artists must comply with all Rules & Regulations.
- All artists must pay a non-refundable $35 application fee whether approved or denied.
- All artists must be age 18 or older or have their parent or guardian apply on their behalf and be present at the exhibit.
- All artists must sell only the items submitted and approved.
- All artists must comply with all federal, state and local regulations.
- Artists may not approach patrons viewing another artists’ display. Do not “hawk” your items.
- Artists may not make derogatory remarks about other artists or their work.
- All artists must refrain from using profanity and behavior that is verbally/physically abusive, dangerous or disruptive.
By submitting an application you hereby agree to become an exhibitor in the First Wednesday Art Walk for the year of 2017. You agree to release(s), forever discharge(s), and hold harmless the City of Jacksonville and Downtown Vision, Inc. of and from all manner of actions, suits, damages, claims, and demands whatsoever in law or in equity from any loss or damage to property of the undersigned while in possession or under the supervision of the First Wednesday Art Walk participating venues, their agents, representatives or employees. You consent to enforcement of all rules relating to the First Wednesday Art Walk. You give permission for photos or depiction of my (our) work accepted for the First Wednesday Art Walk to be used for Art Walk promotion purposes.
Contact Art Walk manager, Hana Ferguson at email@example.com or 904.634.0303 ext. 225 for questions. At Art Walk, DVI staff and Downtown Ambassadors will be present to answer questions, help direct artists, direct patron traffic and work closely with the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office to address any security needs.