Originally known as Dell’s Bluff when it was first settled in 1801, Brooklyn was originally home to a sprawling, 800-acre plantation owned by Phillip Dell. The property was ultimately purchased by Miles Price, who divided up the acreage to sell off. Annexed as part of Downtown Jacksonville in 1887, the Brooklyn area held a growing population of 1,000 and a few hundred homes and mansions. Brooklyn retains Civil War roots as it was home to a garrison of white and black Union troops who settled in the area. Brooklyn eventually developed into a commercial and industrial area with the increasing use of the railway.