The following is this week’s issue of the #DTJax Weekly Update e-newsletter. To receive this in your email inbox each week, sign-up here.
Instagram of the Week
Things To Do Downtown
Arts & Culture
- First Wednesday Art Walk at Downtown Jacksonville
- Art Walk at Jacksonville Main Library
- Art Walk Beer Garden with Aardwolf Brewing at Hemming Park
- Jax Poetry Fest Open Mic at Art Walk in Hemming Park
- Opening Reception for April featured Artist: Jim Kane at The Art Center Cooperative
- The 16th Annual Taste of Chocolate at Jessie Ball duPont Center
- 31st Annual Celebrity Chef Tasting Luncheon and Silent Auction at Prime F. Osborn Convention Center
- Drink and Draw at MOCA Jacksonville
- Food of Love by Kelby Siddons at NOLA MOCA
- Great Cities Symposium at Jacksonville Main Library
- Jacksonville Symphony Presents: Bridges at Times-Union Center
- Jax Poetry Fest at MOCA Jacksonville
- Om in the Dome at MOSH
- Opening Reception for “Seasons” at The Art Center Cooperative
- UNF Movies on the House (MOTH): McQueen at MOCA Jacksonville
- First Friday Cosmic Concert at MOSH
- Jacksonville In-Water Boat Show at Metropolitan Park. Runs through Sunday, April 7.
- Jacksonville Symphony Presents: Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2 at Times-Union Center. Runs through Saturday, April 6.
- Lunch in the Park with The Rip Currents at Hemming Park
- 2019 Black Tie and Blue Jeans Gala at WJCT Studios
- Blackout Poetry at Chamblin’s Uptown
- Dinner Detective Mystery Night at Omni Hotel
- Jax Poetry Fest: Poetry & Prose at MOCA Jacksonville
- Jax Poetry Fest: What is poetry therapy? at MOCA Jacksonville
- Maddy D’s Cafe and Confections Grand Opening Party
- Disney on Ice: Dare to Dream at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena.Runs through Sunday, April 7.
- FREE Ice cream sundae at Sweet Pete’s and MLG Jax. Runs through Sunday, April 7.
- P.O.M.E. Poetry Workshop Series at Jacksonville Main Library
- Riverside Arts Market
- Science and History Boat Tours at MOSH
- Spring 2019 Boy Scouts Workshops at MOSH
- Spring 2019 Girl Scouts Workshops: Citizen Science Camp-In at MOSH
- Toddler Time: Tales of Peter Rabbit at Sweet Pete’s Candy
Live Music & Nightlife
- Elements of D&B at Myth Nightclub
- Musicians Jam Session at That Bar at The Arena
- SoundCloud Sessions at Spliff’s Gastropub
- Bret Bollinger and The Bad Habits at 1904 Music Hall
- Brownie Bake Off at Intuition Ale Works
- The Chelsea Michelle Duo at Super Food and Brew
- The Lyricist Live at Hollywood Cuts
- Mas Appeal & Dialectale Beats at Spliff’s Gastropub
- Silent Disco Art Walk After Dark at Myth Nightclub
- Duval is for Lovers at 1904 Music Hall
- Empower Hour at Myth Nightclub
- J-Live/Willie Evans Jr. at The Justice Pub
- MC Deadmind live at The Cypher at De Real Ting Cafe
- Thursday Trivia at Burrito Gallery Downtown
- Boney James at The Florida Theatre
- DJ PLO 5th Year Anniversary at De Real Ting Cafe
- Jay Live at Bold City Brewery Downtown
- The Party Cartel at River City Brewing Company
- Polyphia with guests I The Mights and Tides of Man at Mavericks Live
- Puttin’ on the Ritz at The Ritz Theatre and Museum
- Shawn James: The Dark & The Light Tour at 1904 Music Hall
- The Snacks at The Volstead
- We The Plug Presents: Dr. Ozi at Myth Nightclub
- Areis Party by Sanctuary at Myth Nightclub
- The Bassment: Jantsen & Proko at The River City Brewing Company
- Billy Gilmore & Friends at 1904 Music Hall
- Darren live on the St. Johns River at Intuition Ale Works
- Kick Cancer To the Curb Rock Fest at Mavericks Live
- Mas Appeal at The Volstead
- Nerd Trivia Night at Bay Street Bar & Grill
- Derek Hough LIVE! The Tour at The Florida Theatre
- The Prophet at 1904 Music Hall
- Swing Dance Sunday at The Volstead
Sports, Health + Fitness
- Hemming Park Walking Club. Runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays through Thursday, April 25.
- Let’s Shag! Weekly Shag Dance Class at River City Brewing Company
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp vs. Arizona Jackson Generals at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. Runs through Monday, April 8.
- MOSH seeking funds to expand, renovate to support capacity, demand
- New era starts as old one ends for Times-Union staff
- Restaurant notes: Whispers Oyster Bar wants to open Downtown
- Fallen firefighters honored with walk across Downtown Jacksonville
- City of Jacksonville to take over, demolish Jacksonville Landing
- Downtown restaurants labeled Bohemian, stylish and chic
- City Council project has big plans for downtown Jacksonville
- Economic Roundtable: Building an “education corridor” Downtown
Downtown Vision Updates:
Celebrate Poetry Month at Art Walk TOMORROW!
Enjoy poetry performances, open-mic sessions and more on the Main Stage in Hemming Park and at the Main Library. Plus, check out works from local artists, vendors and businesses.
Be sure to visit 35+ participating venues for more fun programming throughout the night.
Join DVI for the Quarterly Stakeholder Meeting!
When: Tuesday, April 23, 8:30 a.m.
Where: Ed Ball Building, First Floor Training Room (across from The Brick Coffee House)
For more information and to RSVP, email Eric Miller, VP of District Services.
Downtown is the city’s economic engine
Duval County averages $74 million in taxable value for each of its many square miles. But in Downtown, our half-square-mile business improvement district averages $1.9 BILLION in taxable value per square mile, over 25 times more valuable!
DVI has another Emerging Leader on its staff!
Congratulations to our very own VP of District Services, Eric Miller, for being selected for the 2019 Emerging Leaders Fellowship (ELF) program by the International Downtown Association (IDA)!
The Emerging Leader Fellowship is a week-long program taught in New York City, that brings together IDA professionals from within the urban district management industry to learn valuable skills in place-making, economic development and public-private partnerships.
We are very proud to have Eric on our team and are very grateful for his dedication to Downtown Jacksonville. Congrats, Eric!
Stories From BlogDTJax.com
About Downtown Vision: