The following is this week’s issue of the #DTJax Weekly Update e-newsletter. To receive this in your email inbox each week, sign-up here.
Instagram of the Week
Things To Do Downtown
Arts & Culture
- By the Water: An Exhibit by Alma Ramirez at Cathedral Arts Project. Runs though Friday, October 25.
- Every Single Artist Lounge at The 5 & Dime, A Theatre Company
- MOTH Presents: Makespace Movies ‘Bag It’ at MOCA Jacksonville
- Studio Practice Workshop Series: Ceramics with Samantha Llodra at MOCA Jacksonville
- Lunch and Learn with Khalid Albaih at MOCA Jacksonville
- Planetarium Night Live: From Decadent to Destitute – How Mars went bad at MOSH
- SWEAT at The 5 & Dime, A Theatre Company. Runs through Sunday, August 18.
- Jax Taco Fest at Hemming Park
- Sizzling Summer Romance Movie: Her Alibi at Jacksonville Main Library
- Sizzling Summer Romance Festival at Jacksonville Main Library
- Studio Practice Workshop: Advanced Block Printmaking at MOCA Jacksonville
- Scribes & Vibes at The Ritz Theater and Museum
- Summer Movie Classic Series: Midnight Cowboy at The Florida Theatre
- City Council Meeting at City Hall.
- Supporting LGBTQ Youth and Families Panel Discussion at Jacksonville Main Library
- Auditions for 2019-2020 Season at Jacksonville Children’s Chorus. Runs through Wednesday, August 14.
- Honey Bee Festival at Jacksonville Fairgrounds
- Riverside Arts Market
- Science and History Boat Tours at MOSH
Live Music & Nightlife
- 2nd Quarter Bartenders Brawl at The Volstead
- Social Hour at TAVERN at The Hyatt. Runs through Thursday, August 8.
- Dance Circle Love at The Cypher Open Mic at De Real Ting Cafe
- Thursday Trivia at Burrito Gallery Downtown
- AFRO Live ‘Skin Tight’ Edition at Live Bar
- Brush Strokes: A Paint Party at Myth Nightclub
- Bush & +LIVE+ at Daily’s Place
- Swing Dance Sunday at The Volstead
Sports, Health + Fitness
- New parking garage could be coming to Brooklyn neighborhood
- DIA selects the Vestcor Companies proposal for LaVilla townhome project
- A Running List of Downtown Jacksonville Development Projects
- City Council to vote on company’s headquarters coming to Downtown Jacksonville
- City recognizes wounded heroes of US armed forces
- Tuesday Editorial: Downtown Ambassadors are Downtown gems
- “Project Sharp” Seeks Nearly $30 Million In Incentives For 500 Jobs, New HQ
Downtown Vision Updates:
Celebrating Back to School SmARTs at #ArtWalkJax!
Thanks for attending the Back to School SmARTs Art Walk last week! We can’t wait for next month’s Art Walk: Duval Day on September 4.
Don’t miss local art & culture, live music, kids activities, food trucks, nightlife and more
Adam Street Eats:
Visit featured restaurants on Adams Street during Art Walk like Breezy Jazz Club, De Real Ting Cafe, Gili’s Kitchen and Kazu Sushi Burrito. Pick up discount coupons at participating venues or at the Art Walk tent on the corner of Laura and Monroe St. at Hemming Park.
Find out everything going on at September’s Art Walk here.
Downtown Vision August Stakeholder Meeting
Thank you to everyone who attended the Downtown Vision August Quarterly Stakeholder Meeting!
We would also like to thank:
To attend the next Stakeholder Meeting or for questions, please reach out to our VP of District Services, Eric Miller via email.
YMCA Group Workout Classes at Corkscrew Park!
FREE group workouts at The Corkscrew – #DTJax’s new outdoor public gym located on the Northbank Riverwalk in the shade of the Acosta Bridge – presented by Winston Family YMCA and City of Jacksonville.
These certified trainer-led classes take place each Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. so bring yourself and a friend and get your sweat on. (Bathrooms & water fountain on site.)
Stories From BlogDTJax.com
About Downtown Vision:
NEW 2018-2019 State of Downtown Report Out NOW!
Each year, we track and analyze Downtown’s performance in key indicators of urban revitalization, such as development, employment and residential. As Downtown grows, so does its impact on the region. Highlights include riverfront transformation, historical architecture redevelopment, rebirth of LaVilla, demand for Downtown living, innovative transportation and more!
PDF here .
2017-2018 Annual Report
Have you ever wondered, ” what exactly does DVI do in a year?” From expanding the Ambassador program by 50% to installing 80,000 LED lights for the “Lights on Laura” installation to topping 100,000 followers on @DTJax social media, check out our latest Annual Report , which highlights accomplishments and financial information for fiscal year 2017-2018. PDF here .
2019 Art Walk Sponsorship Opportunities
Downtown’s signature monthly event, First Wednesday Art Walk attracts 5,000 people each month, spans 15+ blocks with 35+ galleries, museums, cultural venues, restaurants, bars, and businesses. In its 16th year, Art Walk celebrates the local art scene by featuring hundreds of artists, performers, and live music acts. Be a partner today! Download the kit here .