The following is this week’s issue of the #DTJax Weekly Update e-newsletter. To receive this in your email inbox each week, sign-up here.
Instagram of the Week
Things To Do Downtown
Arts & Culture
- By the Water: An Exhibit by Alma Ramirez at Cathedral Arts Project. Runs though Friday, October 25.
- First Wednesday Art Walk at Downtown Jacksonville
- Art Walk at Jax Makerspace inside Jacksonville Main Library
- Art Walk Beer Garden at Hemming Park
- Back to School Bubbles at MOCA Jacksonville
- Free Movie: Unbreakable at Jacksonville Main Library
- Jacksonville Caribbean Carnival at Metropolitan Park. Runs through Sunday, August 11.
- Facing the Dragon: A Film Screening and Q&A with filmmaker Sedika Mojadidi at MOCA Jacksonville
- Om in the Dome at MOSH
- Studio Practice Workshop Series: Ceramics with Samantha Llodra at MOCA Jacksonville
- SWEAT at The 5 & Dime, A Theatre Company. Runs through Sunday, August 18.
- Cookie Class at Maddy D’s Cafe and Confections
- First Annual Rummage Sale at Friday Musicale
- Studio Practice Workshop: Advanced Block Printmaking at MOCA Jacksonville
- Summer Movie Classic Series: Ace Ventura Pet Detective at The Florida Theatre
- Three Ways to Disappear with Katy Yocom at Chamblin’s Uptown
- Auditions for 2019-2020 Season at Jacksonville Children’s Chorus. Runs through Friday, August 9.
- Florida Homeschool Convention at Prime F. Osborn Convention Center. Runs through Saturday, August 10.
- Kids’ Summer Movie: How To Train Your Dragon 3 at Jacksonville Main Library
- Back to School Bash at Jacksonville Fairgrounds
- Girls Who Code at Jacksonville Main Library
- Riverside Arts Market
- Science and History Boat Tours at MOSH
- Toddler Time: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie at Sweet Pete’s Candy. Runs through Sunday, August 11.
Live Music & Nightlife
- Social Hour at TAVERN at The Hyatt. Runs through Thursday, August 8.
- Art Walk: Full Moon Folk at Burrito Gallery Downtown
- Dorms, First Case Scenario, Dog Church and Friendly Dads at 1904 Music Hall
- Duval Till We Die Dance Party: Art Walk After Dark at Spliff’s Gastropub
- Let’s Ride Brass Band at Art Walk
- Moe. And Blues Traveler at Daily’s Place
- Silent Disco (Laser Edition) Art Walk After Dark at Myth Nightclub
- The Summer Cypher Series with Blake Neil at Hollywood Cuts Barbershop
- The Bayou Beatdown Tour at The Justice Pub
- Perpetual Groove at Spliff’s Gastropub
- Thursday Trivia at Burrito Gallery Downtown
- Wifi’s Funeral and Special Guests at 1904 Music Hall
- Lyle Lovett And His Large Band at The Florida Theatre
- Stick To You Guns, Counterparts, Terror and more at 1904 Music Hall
- We The Plug Presents: VAMPA & ZIA at Myth Nightclub
- Baroness, War On Women at 1904 Music Hall
- Hater Free Presents: DJ Cut Creator at The Justice Pub
- Old School R&B at Breezy Jazz Club
- Transition at Myth Nightclub
Sports, Health + Fitness
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp vs. Mississippi Braves at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. Runs through Sunday, August 11.
- Tuesday Editorial: Downtown Ambassadors are Downtown gems
- Jacksonville could pony up $30 million in incentives to lure 500 new jobs downtown
- Vestcor plan recommended for LaVilla townhome development
- Art Teachers Are Artists: Group Exhibition at Spliff’s Gastropub and 1904 Music Hall in Downtown Jacksonville
- City of Jacksonville halfway to goal of 10,000 downtown residents
- Burrito Gallery opens fourth Jacksonville restaurant
- Jax Chamber kicks off 25th annual ‘Painting of the PawPrints’ in Downtown Jacksonville
- Downtown Jacksonville breaks 5,000-resident mark
- $450 Million Lot J Redevelopment Deal Includes $233.3 Million In City Incentives
- Now & Then: VyStar Tower in Downtown Jacksonville
- Initiatives working to make Northeast Florida’s transportation ‘smart’
Downtown Vision Updates:
Join our team as Events Manager or Experience Manager!
For a full description of both positions and how to apply, click here.
YMCA Group Workout Classes at Corkscrew Park!
FREE group workouts at The Corkscrew – #DTJax’s new outdoor public gym located on the Northbank Riverwalk in the shade of the Acosta Bridge – presented by Winston Family YMCA and City of Jacksonville.
These certified trainer-led classes take place each Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. so bring yourself and a friend and get your sweat on. (Bathrooms & water fountain on site.)
Back to School SmARTs at #ArtWalkJax!
Check out this week’s Art Walk: Back to School SmARTS on August 7 featuring live music, local art, fun activities and other festivities!
Adam Street Eats:
Visit featured restaurants on Adams Street during Art Walk like Breezy Jazz Club, De Real Ting Cafe, Gili’s Kitchen and Kazu Sushi Burrito. Pick up discount coupons at participating venues or at the Art Walk tent on the corner of Laura and Monroe St. at Hemming Park.
Stories From BlogDTJax.com
About Downtown Vision:
NEW 2018-2019 State of Downtown Report Out NOW!
Each year, we track and analyze Downtown’s performance in key indicators of urban revitalization, such as development, employment and residential. As Downtown grows, so does its impact on the region. Highlights include riverfront transformation, historical architecture redevelopment, rebirth of LaVilla, demand for Downtown living, innovative transportation and more!
PDF here .
2017-2018 Annual Report
Have you ever wondered, ” what exactly does DVI do in a year?” From expanding the Ambassador program by 50% to installing 80,000 LED lights for the “Lights on Laura” installation to topping 100,000 followers on @DTJax social media, check out our latest Annual Report , which highlights accomplishments and financial information for fiscal year 2017-2018. PDF here .
2019 Art Walk Sponsorship Opportunities
Downtown’s signature monthly event, First Wednesday Art Walk attracts 5,000 people each month, spans 15+ blocks with 35+ galleries, museums, cultural venues, restaurants, bars, and businesses. In its 16th year, Art Walk celebrates the local art scene by featuring hundreds of artists, performers, and live music acts. Be a partner today! Download the kit here .