The following is this week’s issue of the #DTJax Weekly Update e-newsletter. To receive this in your email inbox each week, sign-up here.
Instagram of the Week
Photo by @damien.lamar during a Hemming Park Walking Club lunch tour.
Things To Do Downtown
Arts & Culture
- Auditions for Spring 2019 at Jacksonville Children’s Chorus. Runs through Thursday, Jan. 31.
- Boy Scout Workshop: Citizenship in the Nation at MOSH
- Girls Who Code at Jacksonville Main Library
- Jax AquaFest at MOSH
- Lantern Making Workshop at The Art Center Cooperative
- P.O.M.E. Poetry Workshop Series at Jacksonville Main Library
- Riverside Arts Market
Live Music & Nightlife
- The Jazz Jam Session at The Justice Pub
- Joyce Manor, Jeff Rosenstock, Remember Sports at 1904 Music Hall
- Rendezvous “Network and Chill” at Myth Nightclub
- Thursday Trivia at Burrito Gallery Downtown
- T.W.A.N. “The Wise Soul” Album Release Party at The Cypher Jax at De Real Ting Cafe
- Boogie Freaks at Jacksonville Landing
- Darla at 1904 Music Hall
- Last Stand at River City Brewing Company
- Nerd Trivia Night at Bay Street Bar & Grill
- NOEL SANGER by Sanctuary at Myth Nightclub
- #SOS We LOVE Soca at De Real Ting Cafe
- South States at The Justice Pub
- Underdark 2019 Bottle Release at Intuition Ale Works
Sports, Health + Fitness
- Hemming Park Walking Club. Runs through Thursday, Apr. 25.
- Let’s Shag! Weekly Dance Meet Up at River City Brewing Company
- Yoga at St. John’s Cathedral
Each year Downtown Vision evaluates the state of Downtown Jacksonville and collects data on how to improve the Downtown experience. If you live or work in #DTJax (Northbank, Southbank, Brooklyn/Riverside, LaVilla or the Stadium District) we want to hear from you!
Complete our survey and be entered to win a $100 gift certificate to the Downtown restaurant or retailer of your choice. Two winners will be chosen and contacted via the email address provided.
The Future of Transit and Autonomous Vehicles: Public Perception Survey
The University of Florida Transportation Institute and Department of Urban and Regional Planning are conducting a study to understand the users’ perception to autonomous and connected vehicles and how they are preparing and adapting to this new era of automated transportation systems.
The feedback obtained from participants would help transit agencies and transportation experts prioritize strategies and initiatives to enhance the transportation network efficiency, mobility, accessibility, safety, and equity in Jacksonville, FL.
Questions about the survey? Contact email@example.com.
Friends of Hemming Park: Quarterly Community Meeting
Join Friends of Hemming Park for a Quarterly Meeting to hear a year-in-review and a look ahead at plans for the park and scheduled events for the upcoming year.
When: Thursday, January 31, 5-6:30 p.m.
Where: Friends of Hemming Park Office, Main Library (1st Floor), 303 N. Laura St.
Complete a short survey prior to the meeting for a chance to win a $50 gift card! Details.
City Council Meeting
Join the City of Jacksonville for a City Council Meeting. Details.
When: Tuesday, February 12, 5 p.m.
Where: City Council Chambers, City Hall, 117 W. Duval St.
- Acosta Bridge Will Once Again Shine Brightly At Night Thanks To New LED Lighting
- JEA announces short list of developers for its headquarters’ move
- The Cawton Report: City Council approves Ambassador Hotel deal
- Residents will see new colors in downtown’s skyline
- History: Oldest park in the city turned 153
- Lantern Parade: This family-friendly event will light up Downtown Jax on February 16
- Civil rights movement part of old Jacksonville City Hall history
- Laying groundwork for Downtown Jacksonville’s future
- The Florida Times-Union approved to move Downtown
- Jacksonville transportation hub project moving along
- The Cawton Report: Boyer says she’s interested in DIA CEO job; Scott, DeSantis sworn in
- International leaders say what it takes to sell Jacksonville
New businesses in #DTJax:
Stories From BlogDTJax.com
- City of Jacksonville Publishes “The Lace & Axle: Pedestrian and Bicycle Planning Newsletter”
- 2018 #DTJax Awards Breakfast: Ambassador John D. Rood & Steve Moore, Downtowners of the Year
- 2018 #DTJax Awards Breakfast: 20West Housing and Café, Downtown Project of the Year
- Downtown Ambassador Spotlight: David Vasquez
- 2018 #DTJax Awards: Michael Ryan, Downtown Ambassador of the Year
- 7 Hidden #DTJax Hotel Restaurants
- #DTJaxSalutes Veteran Ambassadors
- Downtown Ambassador Spotlight: Cindy Ray
- National Outdoors Month in #DTJax
- Celebrating the St. Johns River in #DTJax
- Street Art in #DTJax
- Found in #DTJax: FORGE 3D Printing Studio