After spending several days with the family, eating, catching up and running around town to say ‘hello’ to old friends, I’m itching to come back to Jacksonville where I can spend my time in my favorite neighborhood, Downtown (and where I live, Riverside). All of my friends are talking about what we should be doing for New Year’s, and I found there’s a lot to choose from. My head is kind of spinning (in a good way, of course).
Here’s a list of New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day celebrations:
- 1904 Music Hall hosts their New Year’s Eve Showcase with live music by The Artist Formerly Known as The Fritz with special guests The Politix, S.P.O.R.E., DJ Chef Rocc, and Vlad the Inhaler in their NYE Prince Tribute Show with two stages, a Champagne toast and a balloon drop.
- Dive Bar and Mark’s Downtown Club/Lounge host Two Bars and One Big Bash with DJs playing dance, pop and hip hop.
- Dos Gatos presents the Ultimate Dance Party with DJ NickFRESH. Booths with bottle service are available by reservations. And there will be party favors, Champagne and tequila shots at midnight.
- The Jacksonville Landing is a great spot to bring in the New Year with a bang with the City of Jacksonville’s New Year’s Eve Fireworks Spectacular.
- Mavericks Rock N’ Honky Tonk is ringing in the New Year with its annual Smokin’ Aces New Year’s Eve Bash with a Champagne toast, balloon drop, party favors and a great view of the fireworks.
- MOCA Jacksonville’s young professional group, The Contemporaries, is throwing Pop! 333NYE. This year the party channels Pop Art and ‘60s glam with hors d’oeuvres, an open bar and entertainment, all complimentary with your ticket.
- Underbelly celebrates the holiday with live music by The Groove Coalition, Universal Green and Antique Animals.
- Zodiac Bar and Grill hosts a New Year’s Eve celebration with dinner, breakfast, champagne and live music.
And I found out that New Year’s Day is not a day to rest because Downtown is still kicking with events.
- Burro Bar hosts the second day of the week-long Post-Junk Festival, a festival celebrating underground music from all over.
- Enjoy the TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl Classic on the Jumbotron at The Jacksonville Landing beginning at noon with live music after the game.
- Icon Boutique celebrates New Year’s Day with Mal Jones Presents “The Lyricist Live” from 1 to 6 p.m.
- Mavericks Rock N’ Honky Tonk hosts the 2013 Gator Bowl Viewing Party where you can watch the game on the giant projector.
- Dos Gatos hosts a Black Jack dealing to help you start the New Year off as a winner.
Don’t forget there is no First Wednesday Art Walk. It will resume in February.
And some folks say nothing is going on Downtown? That’s just silly. Keep an eye on more Downtown New Year’s festivities by signing up for our weekly “Things To Do Downtown” e-newsletter, or follow our events calendar at downtownjacksonville.org.
No matter what you do to celebrate, stay safe, have a ball and Happy New Year from all of us at DVI to you!